The incumbent reports to the Senior Director - Publications and Passenger Transport and has initial responsibility for the editorial content of APTA's flagship print publication, Passenger Transport, to ensure it is accurate, produced on time and
within budget. Primary responsibilities are:
Original writing, research and reporting.
Overseeing Senior Editor and working with Graphic Designer to produce biweekly print publication and electronic companion pieces.
Expanding readership, keeping magazine fresh and valuable to members and generating ad and sponsorship revenue and sponsored content.
Managing the work of freelance writers and photographers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Generate story ideas and develop, research, write, and edit original articles of various lengths that reflect APTA's interests and Passenger Transport's tone and style, and provide fresh content to readers.
- Supervise the work of the Senior Editor in the production of biweekly electronic companion publication and condensed electronic publication Passenger Transport Express.
- Work closely with the Graphic Designer.
- Working with the Senior Director, expand readership and generate ad and sponsorship revenue and sponsored content.
- Develop and maintain contact with PIOs at public transit agencies and businesses, other key personnel in public transportation, and with media contacts in APTA's partner organizations.
- In consultation with the Senior Director of Publications, oversee the work of external vendors (freelance writers, photographers, printers, etc.).
- Write effectively for a variety of formats, including APTA's website and social media.
- Create a social media presence for Passenger Transport.
- Work with Senior Director to develop annual budget and editorial calendar.
- Cover sessions and draft articles during APTA Conferences.
- Exercise creativity and initiative in the editorial direction of Passenger Transport; work with APTA staff and vetted external sources to develop original content for such features as "Commentary."
- Keep abreast of and analyze the impact of public transit issues as they relate to readers and subscribers; work closely with other APTA departments and members who serve on select APTA committees, and credible external experts, as appropriate.
MEASURES OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Effectiveness in ensuring editorial products that are informative, accurate, and reflect the interests, sensitivities and mission of APTA and its members.
- Extent to which biweekly Passenger Transport production deadlines are met.
- Extent to which membership satisfaction is achieved through the association's communications and marketing efforts.
- Extent to which an efficient operation is conducted through proper planning and use of staff and resources.
Candidate must have at least 10 years of related experience, and possess exceptional writing and editing skills. Job requires oversight of one editor and a close relationship with a graphic designer.
Have a thorough knowledge of the publication production process. Be detail oriented, intellectually curious, energetic, imaginative and a team player. Should possess good judgment and political acumen required in serving a membership trade association. Must have excellent organizational skills.