To develop, implement, and coordinate policies and programs covering the human resources function internally at APTA to include employment, benefits, and compensation, under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer & Vice President-Administration. This position also includes responsibility for entire office suite both the 11th and 12th floors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develops, implements, and maintains an effective employment program for exempt and nonexempt employees of the Association to include recruiting, interviewing, testing, and reference checking in a diverse environment;
- Develops, establishes and manages the employee benefits package of the Association which includes, but may not be limited to administration of the medical and dental insurance, long-term disability, AD&D, and life insurance, as well as the Tax Deferred Savings Plan and the Retirement Plan and Smartrip Benefits program;
- Implements and maintains a wage and salary administration program, involving outside consultants on an as needed basis;
- Manages the Association's wage and salary administration programs and its job evaluation procedures; keeps supervisor abreast of changes in Federal law which could affect personnel policies used by the Association;
- Manages the Performance Evaluation System for the employees of the Association;
Responsible for the physical facility, maintaining contact with the building engineers and maintenance personnel. Responsible for maintaining service agreements on equipment, if needed;
- Manages the storage of APTA records;
Develops and maintains the Employee Handbook, and Human Resources forms for the Association's approval. Evaluates the effectiveness of the Association's personnel policies and makes recommendations for changes where required;
- Supervises the Human Resource Specialist, Receptionist and the Office Coordinator in the Human Resources group of the Finance & Administration Department;
- Maintains job descriptions for each position in the Association;
- Maintains necessary personnel records for all employees including employee files, job descriptions and evaluations;
- Conducts orientation and training sessions for new employees and develops and distributes instructional materials for new and prospective employees of the Association;
Develops and maintains strong relationships with professional human resource organizations to include consultants and employment agencies;
- Counsels employees on Association-related problems, policies and procedures of the Association, which could include, but limited to complaints, PTO issues;
- Oversees employment agreements for the Association; and
Participants in other special Human Resources assignments in support of the Executive Office.
MEASURES OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Ensures that hiring and employment practices conform with Association policy as well as with federal and local laws;
- Ensures that the Association's group insurance benefit programs are in accordance with Association policy as well as with federal regulations;
- Ensures that the wage and salary administration program is in accordance with Association policy and procedures;
- The degree to which staff is kept abreast of personnel and administrative policies and procedures in the Association and
- Ensures the office suite is running smoothly and that all service agreements with outside contractors are up to date. Remains in contact with building services to ensure that staff is kept up to date with information. Works with building engineers on projects that require their assistance.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Administration, Business Administration or a related field required. 10 years of solid Human Resources experience. Strong, effective communicator. Proficient in employment law. Familiarity with an HRIS. Must be proactive, collaborative and team-orientated. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with employees and able to communicate successfully with all levels of staff both orally and in written form. Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. SHRM certification a plus.