The Workforce Development Committee and its subcommittees provide a forum which promotes leadership, innovation, collaboration, and information sharing among public transportation professionals at all levels. The committee identifies and develops a specialized range of related programs and workshops at major APTA conferences and at regional workshops throughout the country. The committee also sponsors various eLearning programs, resources, and web-based activities for APTA members and in partnership with industry organizations outside of APTA.
The committee structure includes three subcommittees; Organizational Development, Labor and Employee Relations, and Education and Career Awareness.
2017 Work Plan (please note that this document will be updated as events/activities/webinars are scheduled)
Workforce Development Committee and Subcommittee Details
The Human Resources Committee works to assist its members with their roles as effective change agents and strategic business leaders within APTA's member organizations. The committee make-up represents a wide diversity of APTA members, expertise, interests and successes.
The Human Resources committee has three active subcommittees - higher education, labor relations, and workforce development. In collaboration with our members, industry experts and industry partners, the Human Resources committee and subcommittees sponsor workshops, professional development programs, webinars (online seminars), and special events at APTA's conferences and throughout the year. These events, plus the development of new industry resources, initiatives, and resources further advance the industry needs for shared lessons learned, success stories, best practices and proven results.
APTA's Organizational Development subcommittee addresses the broad sets of needs and challenges facing our industry. Highlights include:
- Drive the dialogue on future workforce needs. Help the industry to anticipate and plan for the future transit workforce.
- Align efforts to recruit, retain, train and develop the front line and professional transit workforce and build the skills and knowledge required for the transit workforce of the future.
- Share the resources of APTA’s online platforms and access to industry experts that support the national conversations and dialogues on common ground topics
- Lead the conversation with other modes and industry partners to ensure a broader perspective and a sharing of strategy, lessons learned and best practices.
APTA's Labor and Employee Relations subcommittee addresses the challenges and successes to develop healthy and successful working relationships and partnerships with labor unions. The subcommittee works to meet the following strategic objectives:
- Serve as one of the transit industry’s primary resource for members to address related labor and employee relations needs, concerns, challenges
- Offer high value/high return programs, resources, online platforms and access to industry experts that support national conversations and dialogues on common ground topics
- Broaden the tent to welcome other industry representatives to ensure a broad range of labor management issues are being addressed and better understood
The Education and Career Awareness subcommittee is focused on the role of colleges, universities, trade and technical schools, and specialized institutes in addressing the academic and development needs of the public transportation industry. The members explore and identify opportunities to develop new, visionary, and innovative learning, skill building, training, and other professional development opportunities for the future.
Members are encouraged to contact the subcommittee Chairs, Vice Chairs or APTA staff advisors for further information.
How We Operate:
For further information on the governance of the Workforce Development Committee and subcommittees, please consult the staff advisor.
Workforce Development page