The committee is a forum for professional development, educational resources, and peer exchanges. The committee helps to develop the annual Transit Board Members Seminar, an educational opportunity to enhance leadership skills. The committee and subcommittees meet during the Transit Board Members Seminar (July), the Legislative Conference (March), and the APTA Annual Meeting (Sept/Oct. The Committee's theme is inclusion and involvement; all transit board members and staff are welcome to attend the meetings.
- Current work program - The transit board members committee is currently engaged in creating program content for the Annual Meeting in Los Angeles, CA.
- Recent work products - The 2016 Transit Board Members & Board Support seminar was a major success in San Antonio, TX with record attendance numbers.
On an annual basis, the committee holds a three and half day meeting (Transit Board Members & Board Support Seminar) where policymakers and staff come together for professional development sessions focusing on best practices in governance and creating policy for public transportation systems.
- Future Seminar Date: July 22 - 25, 2017, Chicago, IL
The transit board members committee and its subcommittees are open to board members of all APTA member public transportation agencies.
- Transit Board Members ADA Subcommittee
- Transit Board Members Board Support Subcommittee
- Transit Board Members Legislative Subcommittee
- Transit Board Members Safety Subcommittee
- Transit Board Members Small & Mid-Sized Subcommittee
- Transit Board Members Engagement & Membership Subcommittee
Board Support Subcommittee
Created in 1994, the Board Support Subcommittee establishes a communication network for board support staff, provides a forum to exchange ideas, and enhances members' skills in assisting transit policy makers.
The subcommittee develops the annual Board Support Employee Development Workshop, a 2½ day educational experience that includes study topics such as effective communication, making presentations, board packet assembly, business writing, creating and managing the board's web pages, and organizational skills. The subcommittee meets during the Board Support Employee Development Workshop, the Legislative Conference and the APTA Annual Meeting.