Any local transit coalition is eligible, provided it has the support of the local APTA transit system member(s) and is a member of the National Alliance for Public Transportation Advocates (NAPTA). For this grant program, a coalition is defined as a collection of groups and/or individuals joined together for the common purpose of promoting transit. An APTA transit system member may apply for the funds on behalf of a coalition or a coalition may apply directly for the funds. Click here to join NAPTA.
Grant Funding Amounts
Grant amounts awarded to coalitions for projects generally will not exceed $5,000. However, projects with a focused advocacy component may be considered for additional funding. All funds are to be spent in accordance with the project scope between the date of the grant award letter and December 31, 2012. Matching funds are not required as a condition of grant approval.
These funds are not intended to be used for partisan political activities. Costs incurred before the date of the approval letter are not eligible for funding.
Projects should focus on grassroots activities advocating for increased public transportation funding on the local and state levels with an emphasis on improving service to increase transit ridership. Grant recipients are also expected to be vocal advocates with their respective federal representatives pertaining to annual Congressional appropriations for transit.
Applications are to be submitted electronically using the APTA Local Transit Coalition Grant Application Form. Supporting documents (letters of support, by-laws, etc) to the application can be mailed or faxed. Please send all information to:
American Public Transportation Association
1666 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
All applications should include the following information, submitted in the prescribed order:
- Project Narrative/Scope: Narrative should not exceed 3 pages; narrative should include:
- A description of the project
- The goals and objectives of the project
- How you plan to implement the project
- The project's timeline, milestones and deliverables
- The project budget
- An evaluation and performance measurement component
- Organizational Capacity: Describe the organizational capacity to implement the proposed project. Please include a list of officers and organizations that are members of your coalition
- Letters of Support: Include a letter of support for the grant proposal from the general manager of the local APTA member transit system(s). Letters of support from other community organizations will also be considered.
APTA/NAPTA will review each application and make a recommendation of eligibility based on:
- Strength of project plan
- Likelihood of achieving positive results
- Geographic diversity
- Political targets
APTA will distribute the first half of the amount awarded upon receipt of the signed grant agreement. The grantee must provide a progress report before receiving the second and final payment. APTA reserves the right to terminate the grant at its discretion.