- Late May 2016 - Online organizational meeting prior to June workshop – strongly recommended
- June 2016 - Workshop (prior to the 2016 APTA Rail Conference) - required
- June 2016 – APTA Rail Conference - strongly recommended
- July 2016 – April 2017 – Monthly mentoring sessions – required
- September 2016 – April 2017 – Two-to-three scheduled webinars featuring industry experts and class member presentations; group project and presentation - required
- May 2017 - Capstone workshop (prior to the 2017 APTA Bus & Paratransit Conference) - required
- May 2017 - APTA Bus & Paratransit Conference. ECP class members to be featured at the Early Career Program graduation - required
This program provides a number of opportunities for members of the Early Career Program to grow, bond, and develop as public transportation professionals.
We will maximize in-person and virtual events so that participants have many opportunities to learn about the industry, engage in dialogues with middle and senior management, and develop/sharpen a core set of skills that are key to the success of an early career professional.
The opening session will feature workshops in goal-setting, communications skills, project and people management, administration (finance and budgets), career development, and other areas plus round table groups addressing transit industry challenges and related topics.
Participants will work in small groups with national leaders (mentors) to learn the full scope our industry. This personalized guidance will be a great benefit to participants and encourage developing talent from within.
In addition, participants will work with a mentor from their own organization or an affiliate. This "local mentor" will assist in their career development from a perspective of intimate understanding of the particular challenges and opportunities of public transportation within their respective communities. During the course of the mentor program, we will feature participants in online meetings and events to share what they are learning along the way. We will compliment these presentations with insights from experienced industry leaders.
The capstone session in the spring of 2017 will showcase the skills participants gained as well as provide opportunities to develop additional skills. We will celebrate the achievements of each at a graduation program held in conjunction with the 2017 Bus & Paratransit Conference in Reno, NV.