Before applying, please ensure you have read through each page of the Early Career Program website and that you are familiar with the program's requirements and fees.
Please note: the program recommends that each APTA member organization nominate only one applicant per year.
All required application materials must be posted to the Early Career Program online applicant site by the 11:59 PM (EST), Thursday, March 31, 2016. Only complete and timely applications will be considered.
How to Apply
Individuals interested in applying for the program must provide the following information:
- Online Application: Your completed online application including recommended applicant profile information.
- Essay: The 500-word essay is the written “formal conversation” between you and the Early Career Program Task Force members who will select the class. Committee members will heavily weigh the clarity and quality of your essay in identifying your qualifications and aspirations.
Your essay must focus on three (3) specific questions:
- Why you are applying and how you plan to benefit from the Early Career Program
- Two-to three specific career goals for the next two-to-three years
- Where you see yourself in APTA and in the public transportation industry in the next three-to-five years.
Again, please remember to focus your essay on the above questions. Your essay should not restate your resume or the program curricula information listed on the web site.
- Current resume: Your resume should include current and relevant past positions with dates. Job descriptions or equivalent documents are not acceptable resume submissions.
Resumes must not exceed 3 pages in length.
- Two letters of recommendation from within the industry:
- The first letter must come from a high ranking official, (e.g. CEO, general manager, or division manager) of the organization that is sponsoring you as an applicant, who can provide insights on your performance and career development.
- The second letter must come from your direct supervisor.
Recommendation letters should provide substantive examples of your performance, how you are progressing in your career, and why you should be considered for the Early Career Program.
These signed letters should be sent directly to you as PDF files. In turn, you attach the PDF files to your online application.
The committee will not consider additional letters of recommendation when reviewing an applicant’s packet. The committee highly discourages any APTA member from petitioning or lobbying the Early Career Task Force to select their candidate
- Contact information for your General Manager, Executive Director, or CEO; and for your direct supervisor.
After completing each section of the online application, you will have the opportunity to edit, add, or modify your application materials before submitting your application, up until the application deadline.
Once you confirm that your application packet is complete by clicking “Submit Final Version”, you cannot make any further edits or additions. You must click the ‘Submit Final Version’ button in order for your application packet to be recognized as complete.
You will receive a confirmation email when you begin the application process and a second email upon final submission of your application materials.
Please keep a copy of each section of your application, so you can paste it and submit again if your submission fails.
Online Application Procedure
All applications must be submitted online. Paper applications will not be accepted. All required application materials must be submitted by 11:59 PM, Thursday, March 31, 2016. The online application portal will not be open after this deadline date.
Please click here to apply
APTA Point of Contact:
If you have questions, please contact APTA’s Early Career Program Manager, Rachelle Jezbera, at email@example.com.