The first Virtual Trade Mission, which featured upcoming business opportunities in Brazil, was conducted on September 17, 2009.
The VTM program included: welcomes by APTA and FTA, an overview of public transportation in Brazil by the U.S. Commercial officer in Brazil, speakers representing the Ministry of Transport in Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte discussing major public transport projects, a discussion of overcoming trade barriers by a Brazilian attorney specializing in trade issues, a presentation by the World Bank on tracking international tenders, and questions and answers.
By the day of this Webinar, more than 100 people had signed up. There were 74 people who actually participated.
A follow-up survey was sent to all participants. The survey showed, based on a 24% response rate, that as a result of the VTM interest in doing business in Brazil had increased significantly, that the speakers provided valuable information and that all survey respondents wanted FTA/APTA/U.S. Commercial Services to offer additional VTM’s.
- Jeff Wharton, General Manager of IMPulse NC and Chair of APTA’s Business Development Committee
- Overview of Public Transportation in Brazil, Miguel Hernandez, Commercial Officer
- Public Transit Projects in Rio de Janeiro, William Aquino, Consultant, Sinergia Estudos e Projetos
- Public Transit Projects in Belo Horizonte, Fernanda Almeida, Advisor to Coordinator of the Minas Gerais World Cup Committee
- Tracking Market Opportunities in Brazil, David W. Fulton, Advisor & Director of Business Liaison Office of the U.S. Executive Director The World Bank
- How To Do Business in Brazil and Overcoming Trade Barriers, Dr. Fabio Ferreira Kujawski, Attorney at Law, BKBG Attorneys
- UITP Workshop- Public Transport and Large Events, November 12-13, 2009, Recife, Brazil