The goals of the Leadership APTA program are to:
Dr. Robert Bies, faculty member for the Leadership APTA December 2010 session, is Professor of Management and Founder of the Executive Master’s in Leadership Program at the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University. Faculty for workshops include university professors and industry leaders.
- Identify, develop, and support the future leaders of APTA and the next generation of public transportation industry leaders.
- Help participants identify, develop, and take action to refine their core leadership competencies and skills.
- Offer expert-led sessions and workshops facilitated by APTA’s executive leadership, world-class public transit industry leaders, and renowned leadership experts and university faculty.
- Provide meaningful class assignments and projects designed to address tough leadership issues and real-world public transportation challenges.
- Connect class members with respected leaders both within and outside the public transportation industry.
- Stimulate and foster individual development, teamwork, and class growth.
- Educate participants about APTA, including its governance, organizational structure, leadership, and development opportunities.
- Provide an immediate means for class members to give back to APTA and to the industry through work on class leadership projects and related opportunities.
- Introduce class members to APTA committee leaders and offer first-hand opportunities for class members to become actively involved in APTA committee work.
- Enable participation in APTA’s Legislative Conference and Annual Meetings.
- Identify and address services, challenges, trends, and major issues in public transportation.
- Support and sustain a collegial and professional environment that facilitates team building, networking, and strong communication with a diverse group of Leadership APTA program participants, alumni, and APTA members.
- Incorporate direction, guidance, faculty assistance, and programmatic support from members of the Leadership APTA Committee.