APTA believes in recognizing excellence and achievement among its members and has a number of awards programs in place to honor members. APTA challenges individuals and organizations to excel, and we applaud these efforts through several awards programs.
A complete list of APTA awards programs can be found below.
- AdWheel Awards - Each year, APTA honors members’ marketing and communications efforts with the AdWheel Awards. The 2019 competition window for entries opened on October 17, 2018 and closes on November 16, 2018. First Place Awards were announced in January 2019, and will be presented at the Marketing & Communications Workshop in February 2019. Grand Awards will be presented at the APTA Annual Meeting in mid-October 2019.
- APTA Awards - The APTA Awards recognizes excellence in the public transportation industry in North America, both on an individual level and an organizational level. Called the “best of the best” of the public transportation industry, the APTA award winners are outstanding role models of excellence, leadership, and innovation whose accomplishments have greatly advanced public transportation. The nomination deadline is in April of each year; awards are presented at the Annual Meeting in the Fall.
- Bus Operator Customer Service Challenge - Held each spring, this competition tests the customer service skills of bus operators as they face real-life scenarios. Contestants are judged on their ability to resolve each scenario.
- Bus Safety & Security Excellence Awards - The Safety & Security Excellence Award recognize APTA Bus transportation systems that have implemented programs or projects that have achieved documented success in addressing specific safety or security program areas. The nomination deadline is in March of each year.
- Call Center Challenge - APTA's Call Center Challenge recognizes the outstanding efforts of APTA member transit system call center personnel. Participants are challenged with real-life call center scenarios and judged on their ability to resolve each scenario in a friendly and professional manner. The application proccess opened on November 17, 2017, and the application deadline was December 7, 2017. The finalist competition is at the APTA Marketing & Communications Workshop, which runs from February 25-28, 2018.
- Photo Invitational - The invitational seeks photos that depict public transportation’s significance, value and benefits of opportunity, access, freedom, and mobility. Anyone can enter, and each year's winning entries are featured in the APTA Calendar. For the 2019 competition, the entry window will open on October 5, 2018, and close on October 24, 2018.
- Rail Safety & Security Excellence Awards - The Rail Safety & Security Excellence Awards recognize APTA rail transportation systems that have implemented initiatives or programs that achieved safety or security objectives. The nomination deadline is in April of each year.