This is an executive management position reporting to the Association’s President and CEO and is a key member of the Senior Leadership Team. The individual is responsible for developing and managing a comprehensive, strategic communications, outreach and marketing program to support APTA’s mission and position as the voice of the industry. The individual is also responsible for developing and managing a nationwide education and advocacy program, in coordination with the Vice President, Government Affairs and the Vice President, Mobility Initiatives and Policy to build strong and effective support for public transportation among key audiences and to increase funding for public transit at the national, regional and local levels. This position also provides strategic counsel on public affairs to the President and CEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements a comprehensive communications and marketing program focused on the following core responsibilities:
- Presents a strong, consistent, professional, and visual brand and image of APTA;
- External Communications including media relations, advocacy, messaging, social and digital media, brand identity, publications, PR outreach and events, speeches and website;
- Internal Communications including communications with members and employees;
- Marketing of the association’s meetings and service offerings including working in partnership with all departments, particularly with Meetings and Membership Services and Technical Services and Innovation;
- Integrates the elements with a proactive customer service orientation; both internal and external; and
- Provides for an ongoing evaluation of communications and marketing activities.
- Develops and implements an education and advocacy program targeted to influentials and elected officials. This includes:
- Undertakes research on perceptions of public transportation and messaging;
- Develops branding for the public transportation industry;
- Develops and implements a cohesive program with the elements of research, advocacy and coalition building, national media relations, national advertising, lobbying and development of local toolkits in conjunction with other departments;
- Undertakes a national and local media relations, social media and communications program to increase positive coverage of public transportation and its benefits, and to advance the legislative agenda;
- Works with members to identify and develop materials that can be used at the local level;
- Serves as staff advisor to the Advisory Council; and
- Directs the activities of consultants in areas of the program where needed.
- Provides strategic direction and management oversight for marketing and communications activities for the benefit of APTA’s members while increasing APTA’s visibility as the voice of the transit industry and a national and international leader among transportation entities:
- Develops and implements all APTA communications and marketing vehicles, such as: APTA’s electronic and print newspaper, Passenger Transport, APTA web site, policy research reports, membership promotional materials, etc;
- Provides strategic and management oversight for activities and promotions to increase APTA membership and attendance at APTA meetings and International EXPO;
- Oversees APTA’s annual Awards Program and AdWheel awards program;
- Explores and implements new technology to enhance communications with APTA members;
- Supports the CEO, and the Board Chair, by providing speeches and other written materials such as letters to the Board, op-eds and commentaries, as well as media training and briefings to ensure consistent messaging; and
- Supports the CEO’s leadership positioning including targeted speaking opportunities.
- Works with appropriate APTA committees in addressing APTA’s communications and marketing activities:
- Manages staff support of the APTA Marketing and Communications Committee and other association member committees and task forces; and
- Manages special communications and marketing projects as assigned, including the Customer Call Center Challenge and Get On Board Day.
- Provides strategic management and oversight of the dissemination program for Transit Cooperative Research Program. The federal government contracts with APTA to increase awareness of the program and its research projects to the industry.
- General management and budget responsibilities include:
- Serves as a member of APTA’s Senior Leadership Team;
- Manages the staff of the Communications and Marketing Department;
- Develops and implements the department’s annual business plan and budget; and
- Attends Association meetings as required.
MEASURES OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Satisfaction of APTA’s members with the association’s communications and marketing program;
- Extent of active, positive participation on the association’s Senior Leadership Team;
- Extent that APTA obtains its legislative and advocacy goals;
- Extent that communications both internally and externally are appropriate, effective, and timely;
- Adequacy and effectiveness of program management;
- Extent to which the programs/projects undertaken attain their stated objectives in a timely and cost-effective manner;
- Demonstration of initiative and creativity in implementation of programs and projects;
- Judgment used in budgeting and controlling expenses; and
- Maintaining an efficient operation through proper planning and utilization of staff and facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business or related field. Advanced degree preferred;
- Minimum of ten years of experience in a senior management role, holding progressively responsible positions in marketing and communications for nonprofit, corporate, and/or agency organizations;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and presentation skills and the credibility and poise to present to a wide range of stakeholders both internally and externally;
- Proven success at developing and implementing digital marketing and social media strategies to enhance visibility, engagement and loyalty;
- Experience building, leading and mentoring a team of marketing and communications professionals;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate team members and colleagues;
- Presence and confidence to project credibility to staff, senior leaders, Board of Directors, media, and stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, handle pressure, meet deadlines and work independently; and
- Must be able to travel to conferences and meetings as needed.
Persons interested in applying for this position should submit their cover letter and resume to the Vice President-Human Resources & Administration via email at email@example.com.