The call for abstracts period is now closed.
APTA cordially invites its members to submit an abstract(s) to be considered for presentation at the 2019 Sustainability & Multimodal Planning Workshop, which will be held July 28-31, 2019, at the Westin Boston Waterfront in Boston, MA. This workshop is the premier forum for advancing cutting-edge practices in sustainability, multimodal planning, and scheduling in public transportation with a focus on increasing efficiencies, resiliency, and integration. Sessions are developed by drawing upon the expertise and experience of APTA industry professionals, so your input is critical to providing the most interesting and value-added meeting agenda.
A successful conference demands fresh, innovative, cutting-edge ideas, case studies, and best practices that will motivate participants during—and beyond—the conference. Abstracts should address specific needs, challenges, trends, or issues you believe are most appropriate for discussion and/or which you are proposing to present. It is important that the abstracts detail the topic’s importance and relevance to today’s industry. Submitted abstracts will be considered for both traditional panel presentations and peer-to-peer roundtable discussions that submitters would lead.
Submit Your Abstracts
APTA invites abstracts and session ideas in the following areas:
Climate Action Planning – Mitigation, Adaptation, and Resiliency
Station Area Access Planning
Battery Electric Vehicles and Fleets
Sustainable Business Practices
Integrating Health and Wellness for Livable Communities
Technology and Transit
Sustainable Capital Projects and Process
Recent Topics in Scheduling
Digital Communications and Data Mining for Transit Operations
Transit and Emerging Mobility
Reimagining the Transit Network
Changing Transit Markets
Contracted Transit Operations and Service Planning
Accessible Transit – It’s not just about Complementary Paratransit
Bus Rapid Transit
East Coast Transit
Response to Declining Ridership
Making the Most of a Moment
- Successful Outreach and Engagement
View full session topic descriptions.
- Other: APTA invites abstracts and session ideas on all other topics related to sustainability and multimodal operations & planning. We are always looking for new and innovative ideas for conference sessions and presentations, so if you have any ideas not discussed in the suggested topics above, please do not hesitate to propose them for consideration.
Guidelines for Abstracts
Below are guidelines that will help you with your submission.
- Submitters (authors and co-authors) must be an APTA member.
- Abstracts must address specific needs, challenges, trends, or issues and specify the topic’s importance and relevance to the industry.
- Each abstract/submission identify three main take-aways or messages the audience will learn from the proposed presentation or session. Abstracts with three main take-aways will be given higher preference than those without.
- Abstracts must be 200 words or fewer (about a half page in length). The abstract is intended only as a brief description of the idea or topic. Submissions are limited to 2000 characters.
- Please note that submitters to do NOT have to address every question posed in the session descriptions for the suggested topics.
- Selected speakers will be required to submit a bio and presentation by the deadline.
- All abstracts must be submitted online through the APTA website. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours, please contact Elizabeth Lovinggood at email@example.com.
How to Submit an Abstract
- Review the Guidelines for Abstracts above to understand the requirements for consideration.
- APTA asks submitters to be clear about who the presenters will be for the proposed presenation and to include three key takeaways for the audience. Be sure to adhere to the word count restrictions.
- Select the "abstract topic" that is closest to your abstract topic. If your abstract idea or topic does not fit into one, select "Other".
- Once you are ready to submit your abstract, copy and paste your answers into the online form. Please complete all fields on the form for your submission to be considered.
- Abstracts due to APTA - Wednesday, February 20, 2019
- Speaker notifications – Starting mid-April 2019
- Presentations and bios due to APTA - Friday, July 12, 2019
- Presentations posted online – Friday, August 23, 2019
All presenters must be members of APTA or a federal partner such as the FTA and FRA. If your organization is an APTA member, its employees are automatically APTA members. For information about joining APTA, please contact Helene Brett, Senior Director of Membership, at (202) 496-4837 or firstname.lastname@example.org.