The Leadership APTA program is looking for the next generation of senior and executive leaders progressing in their careers in the public transportation industry.
Candidates for Leadership APTA should show the promise and potential to be part of executive teams, the ‘chief’s’ suite, and other senior leadership positions.
Leadership APTA is specifically designed for APTA members working for public transportation systems, private corporations, businesses, and organizations related to the industry. Only employees of organizations that are APTA members are eligible to apply.
Target Audience Profile
- Candidates need to be proven experienced managers having the drive, dedication, and promise to join the ranks of senior and executive leadership positions. They may come from other positions having strong leadership potential working for public transportation systems, private sector businesses supplying goods or services to the public transit industry, or other organizations related to the industry.
- Candidates might be new general managers of small to mid-sized organizations; transit agency assistant general managers or assistant general managers working for public transit services providers. They might be rising business and private sector program and project senior managers with a track record of recognized success and plans for senior and executive leadership.
- Candidates need to demonstrate the potential to be a strong and effective leader. Candidates need to be at a director-level/equivalent position or higher, department or division head/equivalent, and at a high enough level in your organization where he or she can speak with confidence to the goals, priorities, and major issues your organization is addressing.
- Candidates for Leadership APTA need at least 10-15 years of significant work experience from the public or private sector, including at least three years of transit experience, plus a proven track record of demonstrated successes.
- Candidates applying for the Leadership APTA Class of 2020 need to be able to become actively involved in APTA immediately upon graduation. They need to have the drive and desire to serve on APTA committees and task forces in areas of interest and benefit to them and their organizations. They need to be willing to eventually assume leadership roles in committees, working groups, and task forces.
Applicants per APTA Member Organization:
APTA member organizations can submit up to two candidates as your applicants for the Leadership APTA Class of 2020. Organizations submitting more than two applicants run the risk that all their organizations’ applicants are disqualified from consideration.