Fare-Free Transit: Options, Actions and Pilots
A Wide Range of Transit Agencies Giving Careful Consideration
Monday, December 23, 2019
1:00 – 1:30 PM EST
A growing number of transit agencies in the United States and around the world are considering various options for systemwide “free transit” programs. This is being sparked by a number of factors, including social equity; incentives for ridership growth; fare enforcement, and the cost of fare collection in a world of diminishing cash payments.
Columbia, South Carolina and Olympia, Washington are two of the first transit agencies to plan new free-transit options. The webinar will provide a glimpse of the process these agencies went through, the various questions that needed addressed, funding considerations, and the objectives of their new service pilots.
The webinar is timed to provide a end-of-the year glimpse of what will likely be a major policy discussion in the year ahead.
- Joel Volinski, University of South Florida and author of the TCRP report “Implementation and Outcomes of Fare-Free Transit Systems”
- John Andoh, Executive Director/CEO, Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority, Columbia, SC
- Ann Freeman-Manzanares, General Manager, Intercity Transit, Olympia, WA
Case Study: The Vote for Phoenix Light Rail
Thursday, August 29, 2019
5:00 – 6:00 PM EST
Phoenix voters will decide August 27 whether or not to proceed with development of its light rail system or divert voter-approved funding to roads.
After voters approved a sales tax increase in 2015 to fund a comprehensive 35 year transportation plan, the city’s light rail expansion has been under attack by billionaire-funded anti-transit front groups who have placed their own question on the ballot.
To help other communities learn from Phoenix, APTA’s Center for Transportation (CFTE) is hosting this live webinar to hear from Phoenix mayor Kate Gallego, campaign director Tony Cani and others share their experiences and answer questions.
- Know someone else who may be interested? Invite them to join us!
- Want more stuff like this? APTA’s Center for Transportation Excellence is here to answer your questions and provide practical, hands-on assistance from experienced campaigners focused on expanding transit options in communities large and small. Contact us for more information and additional resources for your transit election.
- Be part of CFTE’s Transit Initiatives and Communities Workshop and understand the messages and strategies that make the difference in transit elections. The workshop will be December 15-17 at the Tampa Marriott Water Street.