Developing a Gap Safety Management Program
This Recommended Practice specifies the minimum requirements for a rail car door threshold to platform edge gap safety management program (gap safety management program). The goal of this standard is to reduce injuries to railroad passengers resulting from the vertical and horizontal gap between the edge of the station high level platform and the rail car door threshold as passengers enter or leave the car.
|Document Number||Version||Publication Date||Publication||Related Information|
- Develop and implement a hazard management program that supports decisions on setting and maintaining nominal gap requirements.
- Develop and implement visual and audible public awareness programs that communicate information about the railroad’s gap.
- Develop and implement a training component for on-board railroad personnel in regard to their role in maintaining passenger safety while traversing the gap.
- Implement inspection procedures to monitor station platform conditions.
- Verify that maintenance procedures for track and vehicles maintain the system’s nominal gap as required by the railroad.
- Develop and implement a training component for maintenance and construction personnel as necessary.
Want to participate in development of this document? Join Working Group or Learn More