APTA’s Sustainability/Operations Planning and Scheduling Workshop (August 18-21 in Washington, DC) is the premier forum for advancing cutting-edge practices in sustainability, multimodal planning, and scheduling in public transportation with a focus on increasing efficiencies, resiliency, and integration. The workshop is packed with thought-provoking speakers, roundtable discussions, host agency tours and education sessions that are run in two tracks: Sustainability, and Transit Operations Planning and Scheduling.
As APTA members, you are an integral part of the call for abstracts. This is an opportunity for you to be part of the educational program and share your expertise and skill set with your peers in the industry. Please refer to the submission topics for each track listed below. Once submissions are reviewed by a committee of members and staff; staff will begin extending invitations to those who were selected based on their experience and partnerships that are aligned with the program.
Please Note: we are seeking individual speaker submissions ONLY at this time – not full panel ideas. Please craft your abstract around you and/or a partner presentation not a full panel of moderator and several speakers. Your submission will be paired with other similar submissions to curate a well-rounded session.
We appreciate your interest in participating at our upcoming event. If you have more questions about this process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to Submit: Monday, March 11, 2024 at 5:00 PM ET
Access the Submission Portal to submit your proposal.
- You MUST be an APTA member in good standing to submit abstracts.
- Submit abstracts separately.
- Do not submit duplicate abstracts under different topics. Select the topic closest to your main ideas.
- Do not submit preselected full panel abstracts.
- Be sure to add ALL proposed speakers (you and a partner if it’s a joint presentation)
- APTA will communicate with the submitter for all notifications and deadlines, who must then share the information as needed with their speaker(s)
- Submissions should avoid being a sales pitch or overly commercial.
- All proposals must be submitted using the online form to be considered.
- Be concise when submitting your abstract ideas (350 words max)
- Submissions should reflect innovative, cutting-edge content.
- APTA will confirm if your submission has been accepted as a speaker on a panel or another opportunity.
- Submitters may submit multiple abstracts but will only have one opportunity to speak, if selected
- After a careful review, all submitters will receive an official notification by email.
- Submissions are not automatically accepted and APTA reserves the right to make all final decisions on speaker selections.
NOTE: Decision notifications will be sent out mid to late April 2024.
- Zero Emission Vehicle: Lessons Learned
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Climate resiliency programs, planning, and projects
- Grant opportunities for Sustainability / Decarbonization initiatives
- Decarbonization and energy efficiency programs, planning, and projects
- Climate Resiliency at Transit Agencies
- Sustainability Data Management
- Sustainable Innovations for Small Agencies
- Supply Chain Issues
- Clean Energy Purchasing/Renewable Investments
- Transit Agency Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
Transit Operations Planning and Scheduling:
- Route/Network Design and Service Change Implementation
- Data Analysis, including Ridership Trends, Planning Analysis & Performance Analysis
- Transit Facilities (Stops, Terminals, Street Improvements, etc.)
- Public Engagement
- Customer Information
- Bus Rapid Transit
- Integrating Microtransit and Other Emerging Modes into the Transit Network
- Special Events and Service Disruptions
- Service Design for Zero-Emission Buses
- Transit Service & Operators: Inreach, Operator Engagement, Service Delivery & Operator Retention Strategies
- Speed and Reliability Improvements
- Funding agreements and partnerships
- Providing Equitable Service
Please use the online Submission Portal to submit your abstract.