This award honors an APTA public transportation system member who has demonstrated achievement in efficiency and effectiveness.
Follow the instructions carefully as the 2021 application process has been improved and all submissions are done via the link below.
The nomination must include:
- Nominee must be an APTA member in good standing.
- Submissions must be fully completed by the deadline of April 23, 2021. Incomplete applications may result in being discounted or rejected by the Awards Committee.
- System nominations cover a three-year period (2018, 2019 and 2020) and the nomination should reflect the achievements in that specific time frame.
- Due to the pandemic, the weighting system for evaluation for 2021 nominations will be 25% quantitative and 75% qualitative.
- Quantitative Measures shall include verifiable data from the National Transit Database for a consecutive three-year period. (Canadian systems can use the equivalent definitions.)
- Qualitative Measures should outline specific programmatic improvements and achievements in the last three calendar years in the 12 areas indicated below.
- Outline the system’s overall achievements over the three year period and describe why your system should be considered for this award.
- Provide detailed quantitative information and specific examples to support each of the qualitative areas.
- Up to three additional pages in attachments (i.e., news articles, recommendations, etc.) are allowed.
- All qualitative & quantitative measures must be completed.
Awards are granted to systems in three categories based on annual ridership:
- Providing 4 million or fewer annual passenger trips
- Providing more than 4 million and fewer than 20 million annual passenger trips
- Providing 20 million or more annual passenger trips
Qualitative Measures — All areas should be addressed and must include quantitative information and specific examples to support each of the 12 areas in this section.
- Safety — Enhanced safety measures
- Operations — Efficiencies in operating procedures
- Maintenance — Basic reporting of maintenance measurements, new maintenance initiatives, preventative programs, and improved performance on efficiencies of existing maintenance procedures
- Access — Travel training; customer information; demonstrated outreach to community beyond ADA prescribed areas; and specific partnership with other municipalities and other community organizations.
- Diversity, Inclusion and Equity – Showcase mission, strategies, policies and practices used to attract and support a diverse workforce, promote an inclusion- and equity-focused culture internally and in vendor, customer and community engagement.
- Customer Service — Methods of providing additional value and service to riders, including the utilization of customer complaints.
- Financial Management — Effective financial controls and successful audits.
- Sustainability — Initiatives to increase sustainability of your organization and your community.
- Workforce Development — Well-trained workforce to meet the needs of the future.
- Attendance and Employee Costs — Containing costs and improving absentee rates.
- Marketing — Developing effective marketing tools to retain and attract riders.
- Community Relations — Promoting positive community relations and contributing to a more “livable” community.
Submitting Your Nomination:
Important Information: If you are unable to input the data all at once, you may exit the survey and return to it later. To do so, click “SAVE AND CONTINUE SURVEY LATER” at the bottom corner of the page on the right. You will be prompted to enter your email address, and the survey tool will email you a link where you can continue filling out the form at a later time. The email will come from Alchemer. Please check your spam/junk folder, if you don’t see it in your inbox.
Click the link below to complete and submit the nomination form for the Outstanding Public Transportation System Achievement Award.
For questions or more information: