APTA provides a wide range of programs and initiatives that serve to promote safety throughout the transit industry and to our members. These include APTA Safety Management Programs, Safety Standards, Safety Audits and Peer Reviews. Additionally, members gain extensive knowledge through the collaboration sites of our safety committees and forums.
Note: Committee collaboration sites are accessible by members only. For more information, contact APTA staff, as listed to the right.
- Expansion of Federal Regulations for the Federal Transit Administration under MAP-21
- Implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS)
- Emergency Management programs and practices being developed by the Emergency Preparedness Technical Forum
- Expanded use of technology within transit
- Implementing a transit safety culture